Author Topic: A View from the Bottom  (Read 13445 times)

Daniel L. Gard

A View from the Bottom
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
I would like to take a moment and express my congratulations to President-elect Harrison and his supporters. May the Lord of the Church grant him wisdom, grace and joy as he takes up the responsibilities of President of the LC-MS.

I would also express my gratitude to President Kieschnick for his years of service to our Synod. I have no doubts that he will continue to serve his Lord in other capacities and I pray for the Lordís blessings on him and his ministry.

I have now completed my role as a place holder on the ballot. It was an interesting experience before the election as I saw first hand the sometimes nasty approach of both left and right. Post-election has also been interesting though I do grow weary of the jokes about my "crushing defeat". As one who served only as a name that completed the ballot so that the election could go forward, the election turned out exactly as I knew it would. And as God has indeed directed in answer to the prayers of His people that His will would be done.

May God bless our leadership, both those who are leaving office and those who are entering!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:42:21 PM by Daniel L. Gard »

LutherMan

Re: A View from the Bottom
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »
Thank you for allowing your name to stand on the ballot Dr. Gard.
Blessings!

pastormesser

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
It was an interesting experience before the election as I saw first hand the sometimes nasty approach of both left and right.

Dr. Gard,

But you never spoke out against the nastiness on the right as you did against the left.  Which was really disappointing to me.

Scott+

Scott,

Who is NOT guilty of disappointing you? 

And, you are just plain wrong about Dr. Gard.  He has been consistent ever since I have been on this forum in lamenting nastiness no matter from which "side" it comes. 

Lastly, what you personally consider "nastiness" does not automatically mean that "nastiness" it is.  Something to think about.

Mike Gehlhausen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
I would like to take a moment and express my congratulations to President-elect Harrison and his supporters. May the Lord of the Church grant him wisdom, grace and joy as he takes up the responsibilities of President of the LC-MS.

I would also express my gratitude to President Kieschnick for his years of service to our Synod. I have no doubts that he will continue to serve his Lord in other capacities and I pray for the Lordís blessings on him and his ministry.

I have now completed my role as a place holder on the ballot. It was an interesting experience before the election as I saw first hand the sometimes nasty approach of both left and right. Post-election has also been interesting though I do grow weary of the jokes about my "crushing defeat". As one who served only as a name that completed the ballot so that the election could go forward, the election turned out exactly as I knew it would. And as God has indeed directed in answer to the prayers of His people that His will would be done.

May God bless our leadership, both those who leaving office and those who are entering!

Thanka for running, Chaplain Gard.  Thanks also for your forthright answers to the Q & A given you as part of the process.

It was nice to actually exchange posts with an LCMS presidential candidate.

Mike

Karl Hess

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
I would like to think that nastiness is going to go away from the LCMS forever, but I know better.  We ought to rebuke it, and receive rebuke when we've fallen into it, but we also need to remember that it is far more important to see that the Word of God is preserved than that we are nice.  Otherwise we can spend so much time chasing our tails about how we behave that we forget about weightier things.

There's an unending list of grievances in the MS regarding bad behavior.  I hope we can forgive each other those on both sides, and focus on finding unity in the Word of God.

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
Chap. Gard, I thoroughly enjoyed being your supporter!   ;D  Yet my 'sadness' at your defeat is tempered by my anticipation of Pres-Elect Harrison's term and my thankfulness for the service of Pres. Kieschnick.  It was your comment about the need to stop marginalizing the small congregations that really drew me in.  As the pastor of a small congregation, it really resonated with me and I appreciated your encouragement.  It means a lot to hear that.

Thanks,
Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

pastormesser

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
I would like to think that nastiness is going to go away from the LCMS forever, but I know better.  We ought to rebuke it, and receive rebuke when we've fallen into it, but we also need to remember that it is far more important to see that the Word of God is preserved than that we are nice.  Otherwise we can spend so much time chasing our tails about how we behave that we forget about weightier things.

There's an unending list of grievances in the MS regarding bad behavior.  I hope we can forgive each other those on both sides, and focus on finding unity in the Word of God.

I share your hope, Pr. Hess.  I would add that it would be most helpful to our moving forward toward unity in the Word of God if a) people were not so quick to judge substantive criticism in the midst of debate as "nastiness," b) people would stop pretending that they possessed some supernatural ability to ascertain the emotional state and/or motivational mindset of others, c) people would stop confusing theological dialogue with matters of contrary opinion, and d) people would stop operating from the "guilt by association" principle and address the actual person(s) with whom they are communicating - and I readily admit my own guilt for not doing as well as I should in these areas, and for my need to do better. 

ptmccain

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
Thanks for taking one for the team, Dan. If you and Karl had not said, "OK" I think we would still be trying to find names to populate the ballot.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:55:31 PM by ptmccain »

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
Pastor Geminn,

First, I thank you for your criticism. I receive it in the spirit in which it was given and recognize my many short-comings. For them, I offer my apologies. May the Lord, who alone is able, bless you and heal your heart and, indeed, the hearts of all who hurt in this sin-filled world.

pastormesser

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
Not once did the chaplain mention the BJOS site.  Not once did any of you speak out against the breaking of the 8th commandment on that page.  Not ONCE.  The problem of disunity will not go away until we all take blinders off.  I can honestly say I have called out both sides.  I haven't seen that with any of you.  As we got closer to the election some went so far as to bait people and not once did any of you speak out against this because they were on your side. This I cannot stomach, it makes me want to grieve.  I cannot respect such viciousness and hypocrisy.  Paul is clear about love in 1st Corinthians 13.  You say you want directness but when you get it you attack.  As I have said before I would love to meet some of you face to face because I don't think you would be so bold in person.  

My Lord is Jesus Christ not some seminary or church institution.  He bids me to follow Him and not some professor or president.  This forum has been great but it has also been extremely disappointing.  The bias is obvious and you don't see it because you are on that side.  Dr. Gard calls me out for associating Harrison with the Otten element which was fair (but I was also on to something as the recent Christian News proved) on his part but not once does he call any of you out for railing against President Kieshnick and the powers that be as well as when you gang up on those who you don't agree with.  I just don't understand this.  You all break my heart.

Scott+

Scott,

Yes, I want directness.  More than that, I want specifics.  Point to something specific and ask for a response.  Don't assume everyone has read everything you have read.  And quit making general, sweeping accusations without providing specifics.  Whether you realize it or not, THAT is what leads to disunity more than anything else.  

I don't have time to respond to this more right now - gotta go teach a class and lead Evening Prayer.  I will just say now before having to run that you are wrong about none of us ever speaking out against the breaking of the 8th commandment when that has occurred on the BJS site.  I have done that myself a number of times, and so have others on this board that I know.

Later . . .

grabau14

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
Scott,

You are wrong about some of us "not calling out BJS" when they erred--  http://steadfastlutherans.org/?p=7244  See Comment 29.

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
Good show, Matthew.  Good show.

Scott G., I am glad you are on this board and that Chaplain Gard and others are regular participants.  I've always felt that the ALPB board gives a great opportunity to really read ("listen") to a variety of viewpoints.  There have been some great exchanges here over the past few years, sometimes peppered with conflict, forgiveness and even reconciliation. 

I'm for staying in the spirit of "One People: Forgiven" right now.  I'm also for everyone getting a clean slate and starting over.  I think I can forget everything I've read at websites like the one you mentioned and just take everything right now as if it were day one in the LCMS.  Past is past.  God has thrown it as far as the east is from the west. 

I'm hearing of some encouraging conversations people are having in Houston.  I'm perhaps sensing a conciliatory spirit among us LCMS types on this board.  Let's just stay here for a moment, at least, and imagine its a new beginning for our church body. 

-Andy "who is going to be the first to burst my bubble?" Jagow
(apologies to Pete Garrison for copying his style  ;)...)
Soli Deo Gloria!

LutherMan

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »
Thanks, Pr. Jagow.   :)
Blessings!

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Andy,

I don't think it's a bubble or pipe dream - it's the feeling I've gotten in the room in general.  I am cautiously hopeful it will be so, and given how President-elect Harrison began, that that is exactly how he will continue and a new day will indeed be dawning for relations in the Synod. 

Pax!
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

James Thomas Sharp

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
    • View Profile
    • Lutheran Mission in Uruguay
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »

I'm hearing of some encouraging conversations people are having in Houston.  I'm perhaps sensing a conciliatory spirit among us LCMS types on this board.  Let's just stay here for a moment, at least, and imagine its a new beginning for our church body. 

-Andy "who is going to be the first to burst my bubble?" Jagow
(apologies to Pete Garrison for copying his style  ;)...)

No bubble bursting here - the spirit of the convention is really positive.  Whether it is the muted response of the Cross party to the elections or the very magnanimous actions and speeches of the Jesus party, this is very different than the spirit I witnessed at the only other convention of which I have firsthand knowledge, 2004.

And Chaplain Gard, I apologize for my second ballot joke.  I appreciate your willingness to stand so that we could have an election.  I have also heard several delegates say that they liked the answers you and Pr. Fickenscher better than for the Big Two candidates.
"Don't thank me,  thank Marge Simpson!  She taught me that the ministry is more than just not caring about people."
- Rev. Lovejoy

Support Lutheran mission work in Uruguay!
www.lcms.org/sharp